Diffrence between MBA Vs PGDM
More often than not, MBA and PGDM are considered the same thing. Understanding the
difference between the two as an aspirant allows you to plan, structure, set new targets and discover opportunities to
align your decisionsfor your present and future prospects. So, lets get right to it.
- PGDM is a diploma course by autonomous institutes approved by the Ministry of HRD and the Government of India.
- The course structure of PGDM is more industry oriented as compared to MBA.
The curriculum is in accordance to the latest developments and has a more practical approach.
- PGDM lets you specialize in your areas of interest. A major and a minor specialization gives you an edge over other candidates.
- Students areexposed to the real-time business world through rigorous classroom studies, meetings with top business leaders and management
internships. This helps the students to get comfortable with the business environment and makes them job ready.
- Institutes with PGDM courses provide attractive placement offers since they are autonomous, but an MBA won’t guarantee you a placement.
- In institutes offering PGDM, the faculty are more qualified and bring the latest corporate learnings
unlike in MBA colleges which have outdated rules of universities which restrict this aspect of the spectrum.
- According to the business magazines and student-centric websites, 90% out of the top 100 institutes
offer PGDM courses in India which cater to providing a holistic experience.
- MBA is a degree programme by Universities and institutes affiliated to them, accredited by the UGC.
- At the end of an MBA, students are conferred with a degree instead of a diploma which lets you pursue a Ph.D. or a doctoral programme abroad.
- MBA has a global acceptability for employment and is well recognized for global opportunities by all recruiters.
- MBA degrees are awarded by Universities. Hence a uniformity in education&learning among all the university-affiliated colleges. Students do not have to
exercise so much caution while opting for an MBA as they carry all the university related credentials.
- MBA colleges offer the course at a lower, more subsidized fee compared to a PGDM programme.
- Except the PGP programmes offered by IIMs and few other top B-schools,
MBA programmes are much older. These MBA colleges have created a huge alumni
base as compared to newer PGDM colleges.
- MBA colleges are anywhere far behind compared to PGDM colleges in ranking but offer standards that are uniform and globally accepted.
In India, both MBA and PGDM courses are regarded as having equal value when it comes to career prospects.
Having a PG diploma instead of a degree is certainly not considered to be a drawback. In fact, it is the reputation of your university or
institute and more importantly,
your professional capabilities that truly matter. Know More