Dr. Nitin Gupta
- PhD from ICFAI University Dehradun (with one year as Visiting Research Scholar at the Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University, New York, USA)
- MBA from FORE School of Management
- B.A. (Eco.) Hons. from Delhi University
- Various aspects of consumer acculturation, cosmopolitanism and brand origin
- Impact of Globalization on consumer culture and consumer behavior
- Impact of Indian consumers’ predisposition towards foreign brands on their consumer behavior
- Analysis of various dimensions of culture (e.g. materialism, susceptibility to normative influences, price sensitivity etc.) on consumer behavior
- Marketing Management
- Consumer Behavior
- International Marketing
- Brand Management
- Integrated Marketing Communication
- Business Communication
Contact Details : 040-30461692
Dr. Gupta has over a decade of academic and corporate experience. He was a Visiting Research Scholar at the Whitman School of Management, Syracuse University, New York, USA. He is also regularly invited to take marketing courses as guest faculty at ICN Business School, Nancy, France. Besides France, his international teaching assignments include teaching in Germany and Austria. He has taught various Management courses — Business Communication, Marketing Management, International Marketing, Consumer Behaviour, Brand Management and Integrated Marketing Communication — to MBA as well as Executive MBA students at top-ranked B-Schools. He has also taken doctoral level courses in marketing. He has taken many sessions on ‘Case Study Approach to Teaching’ and other teaching-related workshops for the faculty members of leading B-Schools. He has taught at various Executive Development Programs held for the middle-level managers.
Dr. Gupta received ‘The IBS Best Teacher Award’ at IBS Hyderabad for the academic year 2008-2009. The award was bestowed on the basis of the highest student feedback received on all the courses taken by the faculty during the given academic year. He also received the “Best Professor in Marketing” Award for the year 2017 at the ‘25th Business School Affaire and Dewang Mehta National Education Awards’ ceremony.
His research work and cases have been published in national and international journals like Services Marketing Quarterly, Psychological Reports, Young Consumers, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, International Journal of Emerging Markets etc. He was the Consulting Editor with The IUP Journal of Brand Management from 2007 to 2015.
Before becoming an academician, Dr. Gupta worked in the area of business development and software sales for a leading corporate house in New Delhi.
Publications in Peer-Reviewed International Journals:
- Gupta, Nitin, Balaji, M.S. and Roy, Sanjit Kumar (2017), “Impact of Cultural Factors on Indian Consumers’ Brand Preference”, in Bang, Melewar and Schultz (Ed.), Asia Branding – Connecting Brands, Consumers and Companies (pp. 17-29). London, United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan (ISBN 978-1-137-48995-1).
- Gupta, Nitin (2016), “Measuring Consumer Acculturation – Discussion on a Prospective Approach”, Marketing Sciences and Inspirations, Vol. XI, No. 2, pp. 33-41. (This journal is listed in EBSCOhost research database, Ulrichsweb, Global Impact Factor and Econbiz, available at: http://www.mins.sk/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/MSI_v11_iss2.pdf)
- Gupta, Nitin (2016), “Cross-National Applicability of a Parsimonious Measure of Acculturation to Global Consumer Culture”, Psychological Reports, Vol. 118, Iss. 2, pp. 527-531. DOI: 10.1177/0033294116637731 (This journal is listed in Scopus and Cabell’s directory)
- Bose, Sunny and Gupta, Nitin (2013), “Customer perceptions of services based on SERVQUAL dimensions: A study of Indian commercial banks”, Services Marketing Quarterly, Vol. 34 No. 1, pp. 49-66. DOI: 10.1080/15332969.2013.739941 (This journal is ranked by ABDC as B and by ABS as 1)
- Gupta, Nitin (2013), “Understanding Acculturation of Consumer Culture in an Emerging Market – An Analysis of Urban, Educated, Middle-class Indian Consumers”, International Journal of Emerging Markets, 8 No. 1, pp.24-40. DOI: 10.1108/17468801311297264 (This journal is ranked by ABDC as C and is indexed in Scopus)
- Gupta, Nitin (2012) “Impact of Globalization on Consumer Acculturation: A Study of Urban, Educated, Middle Class Indian Consumers”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 24 No. 1, pp. 41-58. DOI: 10.1108/13555851211192696 (This journal is ranked by ABDC as B and is indexed in Scopus)
- Gupta, Nitin (2011), “Extent of Susceptibility to Interpersonal Influence and Price Sensitivity among Indian Youth. Is there a Relationship between these Two Constructs?”, Young Consumers: Insight and Ideas for Responsible Marketers, 12 Iss. 4, pp. 61-69. DOI: 10.1108/17473611111185904 (This journal is ranked by ABDC as B)
- Gupta, Nitin (2011), “Globalization Does Lead to Change in Consumer Behaviour: An Empirical Evidence of Impact of Globalization on Changing Materialistic Values in Indian Consumers and its Aftereffects”, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, Vol. 23 Iss. 3, pp. 251-269. DOI: 10.1108/13555851111143204 (This journal is ranked by ABDC as B and is indexed in Scopus)
- Gupta, Nitin (2007), “Volvo in India: Analyzing a MNC’s Strategies in a Developing Market”, Management Case Study Journal, December, 7, Issue 2, pp. 18-38. (Published by University of South Australia, International Graduate School of Management, available at: http://search.informit.com.au/browseJournalTitle;res=IELBUS;issn=1445-033X)
Publications in Peer-Reviewed National Journals and Books:
- Saran, Rashmita and Gupta, Nitin (2012), “Country of Origin vs. Consumer Perception: A Literature Review”, The IUP Journal of Marketing Management, Vol. XI, No. 4, pp. 66-75.
- Gupta, Nitin and Shekhar, Vaibhav (2010), “Case on: The Indian Mid-Segment Passenger Car Industry”, IUP Journal of Business Strategy, September, Vol. VII, No. 3, pp. 60-72.
- Gupta, Nitin (2009), “Can Globalization Lead to Cultural Hegemony?”, The ICFAI University Journal of History and Culture, July& October, Vol. III, Nos. 3 & 4, pp. 113-122.
- Shekhar, Vaibhav and Gupta, Nitin (2008), “Customer’s Perspectives on Relationship Marketing in Financial Service Industry”, ICFAI Journal of Management Research, September, Vol. VII, No. 9, pp. 68-79.
- Gupta, Nitin (2007), “The Hit Formula! Can Characteristics of a Successful Movie be Determined?”, ICFAI Journal of Management Research, June, Vol. VI, No. 6, pp. 27-42.
- Gupta, Nitin (2007), “Cultural Dynamics and Market Attractiveness”, ICFAI Journal of Management Research, January, VI, No. 1, pp. 63-77.
- Gupta, Nitin (2006), “Awareness of Consumer Laws and Rights: A Case Study”, in Panwar, J.S., Mathur, N. and Dave, D.R. (Ed.), Consumerism: Global and Indian Perspectives, RBSA Publishers, Jaipur, pp. 109-120.
- Gupta, Nitin et al. (2005), “Customer Focused Product Planning: A Conjoint Study on Hostel Accommodation Attributes”, The ICFAI Journal of Services Marketing, June, Vol. III No. 2, pp. 33-47.
- Pattnaik, R.K., Gupta, Nitin and Reddy, Y. M. (2012), “Railway’s Artificially Low Pricing Structure an Anathema for the Consumer”, The Free Press Journal, Mumbai Ed., 20th March’12, p-17.
- Gupta, Nitin (2005), “Emotional Appeal…Its all around us!” Advertising Express, August, Vol. 5, Issue 8, pp. 36-40.
- Gupta, Nitin (2005), “Private Brands in Grocery Retailing: The Indian Scenario”, Advertising Express, April, Vol. V, Issue 4, pp. 40-46.
- Gupta, Nitin (2005), “Book Review – Miller Robert and Williams Gary (2004), The 5 Paths to Persuasion: The Art of Selling your Message, Warner Business Books”, Marketing Mastermind, February, Vol. V, No. 2, pp.77-81.
- “Impact of Globalization Forces on Digital Natives and Digital Immigrants”, (Co-Author: Ankit Kesharvani), MCEM Conference 2017 – International Conference on Marketing Challenges in Emerging Markets, at IMT-Hyderabad from 8 to 9 December 2017 (Full paper available in Marketing Challenges in Emerging Markets Conference Proceedings 2017, pp-121-125, ISBN 978-93-5268-308-6)
- “Measuring Consumer Acculturation – Discussion on a Prospective Approach”, Cross Cultural Business Conference 2016, at School of Management, University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria, Steyr Campus, Austria from 19 to 20 May 2016 (Full paper available in Proceedings of Cross Cultural Business Conference 2016, pp-30-37, ISBN 978-3-9504257-0-3)
- “Blogging as a Marketing Tool”, (Co-Author: Supratim Kundu), International Conference on Digital Disruptions, Trends and Opportunities in Marketing, at IBS Business School-Mumbai from 11 to 12 March 2016.
- “Consumer Behavior towards Purchase of Green Products vis-a-vis Ayurvedic Products – An Indian Perspective”, (Co-Author: Supratim Kundu), International Conference on Marketing Challenges in Emerging Markets, at Institute of Management Technology – Hyderabad from 21 to 22 January 2016.
- “Impact of Globalization on Consumer Behavior Attributes: A Comparative Study between Developed and Emerging Markets”, (Co-Authors: Dr. Javier Flores Zamora & Dr. Olga Ivanova), International Conference on Marketing Challenges in Emerging Markets, at Institute of Management Technology – Hyderabad from 21 to 22 January 2016.
- “Do (How) Digital Natives Adopts A New Technology Differently than Digital Immigrant? A Longitudinal Comparison of Four”, (Co-Authors: Ankit Kesharwani, Makam Balaji and Daniel Sherrll), AIM’s 2nd International Conference on “Innovation in Marketing for Emerging Markets – Global Challenges and Opportunities”, at Bangalore from 29 to 30 July 2012.
- “Customer Perception of Services Based on the SERVQUAL Dimensions: A Study on Indian Commercial Banks”, (Co-Author: Sunny Bose), Fourth IIM-A Conference on Marketing in Emerging Economies, at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad from 5 to 7 January 2011.
- “Relating Need for Touch with respect to Involvement and Perceived Risk: A Research Agenda”, (Co-Author: Subhash Jha), Fourth Great Lakes-NASMEI Marketing Conference, at Great Lakes Institute of Management Chennai from 23 to 24 December 2010.
- “Cultural Interpenetration: Does it Really Occur Among Indian Consumers?”, Third IIM-A Conference on Marketing Paradigms for Emerging Economy, at Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad from 7 to 9 January 2009.
- “Cultural Impact on Indian Consumer’s Buying Behavior”, Business Optimization Research Wave – 2007, at NITIE Mumbai from 15 to 17 February 2007.
- “Influence of Foreign Culture brought by Foreign Brands on Indian Consumers’ Buying Behaviour: A Framework for Empirical Study”, Fourth AIMS International Conference on Management, at Indian Institute of Management Indore from 28 to 31 December 2006.
- “The Impact of Globalization on Consumer Awareness in India”, First Association of Indian Management Scholars (AIMS) International Conference on Management, at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore from 28 to 31 December 2003.
- Gupta, Nitin (2018), “Mahindra Electric Mobility Limited: The Electric Vehicles Dilemma”, Ivey Publishing, Product no. 9B18A062, available HERE
- Gupta, Nitin (2018), “Taking Culture Oriented Ayurvedic Personal Care Products International”, The Case Center, Reference no. 518-0018-1 (for case), Reference no. 518-0018-8 (for teaching note), available HERE
- Gupta, Nitin (2018), “Multinational Market Regions and Market Groups – Where to go, Which to avoid”, The Case Center, Reference no. 518-0015-1 (for case), Reference no. 518-0015-8 (for teaching note), available HERE
- Gupta, Nitin (2017), “Cultural Influence on Fairness Stereotypes”, The Case Center, Reference no. 517-0060-1 (for case), Reference no. 517-0060-8 (for teaching note), available HERE
- Kundu, Supratim and Gupta, Nitin (2016), “SpiceJet: Recovering the spicy way”, The Case Center, Reference no. 516-0089-1 (for case), Reference no. 516-0089-8 (for teaching note), available HERE
- Kundu, Supratim and Gupta, Nitin (2016), “Wrangler Jeep: Launching in India”, The Case Center, Reference no. 516-0047-1 (for case), Reference no. 516-0047-8 (for teaching note), available HERE